Meet 2nd Grade, Philly's Latest Power Pop Sensation


Photo credited to Julia Leiby

With the singles "Velodrome," "My Bike," and "Dennis Hopper in Easy Rider," Philadelphia's 2nd Grade are promising a slice of power pop perfection upon the release of their second album, Hit to Hit, on May 29th. To find out more about the band, Zach interviewed frontperson Peter Gill about the group's history, influences, and favorite sandwiches. 

The more I sit down and edit all the features for posting on Osmosis Tones, the more I realize how often I start everything with "2020 has NOT been a good year." Yes, I know - my powers of deduction rival those of Holmes & Watson. But if 2020 has been a good year for anything, it's been great for discovering new bands that hold a place in heavy rotation. There's Beach Bunny, Dogleg, Floral Tattoo, Post Louis...and NOW, Philadelphia's 2nd Grade.

2nd Grade, much like previous interviewee Mo Troper, play power pop that is simply irresistible. With joyous guitar tones, short n' snappy songwriting, and a sense of nostalgia that hearkens back to late 70s guitar pop, I instantly fell in love with their sound upon watching their "Velodrome/My Bike" music video. After reaching out to the band online, frontperson Peter Gill (Friendship, Free Cake for Every Creature, Flurry) took the time to answer some questions I had about the band, ahead of the release of their second album Hit to Hit, out May 29th on Double Double Whammy. 

First off, thanks for chatting with me! Let’s start off by having you introduce yourselves.


Hi! I’m Peter Gill, I sing and play guitar, and I write the songs. Today I’m answering the questions. The rest of the band is Jon Samuels on lead guitar, Catherine Dwyer on lead guitar, Jack Washburn on bass, and Will Kennedy on drums.

 

I think it’s safe to say that all of you are veterans of the Philadelphia DIY scene, having even played together in such bands as Friendship and Remember Sports. What decisions drove you all towards forming 2nd Grade?


Yep, we’ve all played in a ton of groups over the years! I’d been scratching many different itches, and it was time to scratch the power pop frontperson itch. Some friends heard my songs and expressed interest in joining the band, we decided who would play which instrument through a test on SurveyMonkey.com, and that’s how the band was formed.

 

Would you say that your past bands have shaped your approach to power pop? Who are some other acts that have influenced this new direction?

 

I’ve been lucky to play in bands with some of the best songwriters working today— folks like Dan Wriggins of Friendship, Katie Bennett of Free Cake For Every Creature, Francie Medosch of Florry, etc. Inspired by their example, I’ve made a conscious effort to write the best songs I can, albeit within the tradition of power pop. It’s very easy to write a bad power pop song and then fool yourself into thinking it’s great because it sounds like Teenage Fanclub (that’s not a dig at Teenage Fanclub). So I try to keep on my toes and hold the songs to a high standard. 


That being said, songs are not sacred things, and I spend a lot of time listening to artists like Alex Chilton, Arthur Russell, Guided By Voices, Chris Weisman, the Replacements, Panther Burns, and Yo La Tengo, all of whom have demonstrated greater respect for whatever mysterious creative/destructive process results in the pop song than the pop song itself.

 

Over the latter half of this past decade, bands like Sheer Mag and Hurry have helped build Philly’s reputation as a go-to power pop destination. What is it like being a band of this style, in this scene, at this point of your careers?

 

It’s super fun! Lots of folks here are very receptive to this kind of music — it feels like a great way to reach people, to meet them wherever they’re at.



I love your “Velodrome/My Bike” video, especially for its baking sequence. How would you characterize your culinary skills? Do you have any specialties that you enjoy making?

 

Thanks so much! I would describe myself as an amateur yet enthusiastic home cook. Since my favorite Chinese takeout spot closed last year, I’ve been making a Sichuanese fish-flavored fried seitan dish that’s addictively good.

 

When I was in second grade, I fainted when they announced over the intercom that my class won the school wide Box Top competition. Do you have any vivid memories from the second grade?

 

One day my friend taught me ALL of the swear words on the bus home from school, then I got in trouble because I couldn’t stop saying them.

 

What was the most rewarding aspect of recording Hit to Hit? What are you looking forward to most with the release of the record?

 

This time around we were lucky to record with our friend Lucas Knapp, who skillfully wrangled our unruly attic and basement recording sessions into a surprisingly hi-fi record while still retaining the warmth and charm of a home recording. I’m in love with how it all sounds and can’t wait for people to hear it.

 

Despite all of our respective lives being put on hold for the foreseeable future, what are the band members' hopes and aspirations for the future?

 

Hoping to hit the road and tour this record! Though it could be awhile til that is possible. I miss sleeping on floors and drinking gas station coffee out of a big thermos. I guess I can do those things at home, but it’s not the same. I’m always writing new songs too, and would love to start recording some new tracks with the band.

 

Are there any local charities or relief funds you would recommend our readers to consider donating to?

 

The Village Arts Emergency Gap Relief Fund for Philly’s Black Working Artists, and Project HOME, a local non-profit focused on housing, empowering, and advocating for homeless individuals in Philly.



Finally, with regards to the album’s cover art…what’s your ideal sammich-n’-soda combination?


Peter: Pan Bagnat, Orangina 


Jon: Peanut Butter & Grape jelly (no crust), Mug Root Beer


Catherine: Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly (no crust), Sierra Mist


Jack: Chicken & Roasted Red Pepper sub from Subway, Mug Root Beer


Will: Peanut Butter & Grape Jelly (no crust), Mountain Dew Code Red



Pre-order Hit to Hit - out May 29th - via 2nd Grade's Bandcamp page, or online at Rough Trade Records.

More From Osmosis Tones

Albums of the Month: April

DOUBLE FEATURE: SubWolf & Gray Heron

We Need To Talk About... #1: Rosy Overdrive, Part I