Teenage Halloween's Luke Henderiks Brings The Heat


Luke Henderiks (they/them) of New Jersey's Teenage Halloween not only is the frontperson of an excellent band, they just so happen to run their own hot sauce label - Complete Goner Vegan Hot Sauce. To find out more about this culinary endeavor, I (Zach) spoke with them about what inspired them to cook, veganism, and (as always) the current state of DIY.


It's the month of June, which means that yet another Pride Month has entered our lives. For myself and my fellow queer people, it is another opportunity to celebrate our visibility, to express our rightful place in the world at large through simply existing. There's a good chunk of artists that I have covered on Osmosis Tones that showcase the queer perspective at the center of their art. While I have yet to mention it in any of my writing, I just so happen to be a part of a band that puts our queer identity at the forefront of what we do. 

Them Beats Collective is a collective of queer musicians who combine our loves of R&B, vaporwave, boy bands and funk into a psychedelic array of warped love songs themed around modern cult mentalities caused by para-social relationships. We're spearheaded by Kyle McGandy (they/them), one of my closest friends in life and someone whose mind I'm legitimately jealous of. To be witness to their growth over the years from their days in New England hardcore act Rest to NOW is truly remarkable, and I'm honored to collaborate in any capacity with them in our super queer art. 


Our latest project, Greetings From Crystal Beach, was released this past March on D.C. based vaporwave label First Class Collective. We've been incredibly blessed to have the reception we've gotten, not to mention our unabashed pride in the final product. One of the most enjoyable parts of this whole process - at least for me - was figuring out what merch we wanted to sell for the release of the album. Being that I am a chef by profession, I was advocating for some type of cookbook or foodstuff - why not fuse a multitude of artistic passions in our expression of our queer identity? However, I also have an amazing lack of follow-through when it comes to "good ideas" I mention, and didn't know just exactly WHAT or HOW to do this. 


Luke Henderiks is the frontperson for Asbury Park, NJ band Teenage Halloween. At this point, the "flaming queer power poppers" are veterans of the modern DIY scene, grinding out tours and gradually putting out songs until the release of their excellent, self-titled debut album from last year. But beyond their music, Luke is also passionate about food just as I am. In fact, they started their own hot sauce label, which they use as a means to create flavor profiles that match the sound and style of fellow bands. Them Beats requested Luke's services for the release of our own hot sauce, called Passionfruit Cemetery, a passionfruit-habanero hot sauce that is to DIE for (currently we are sold out, but are expected a second run soon). 

I was floored when I tried it for the first time. It was juicy like a punch, with the sweetness at the front of the palette gradually giving way to the spice of the habanero, accented with herbacious notes of dill. Simply put: it slaps. In fact, it slapped SO much, I reached out to Luke to do an interview, in order to find out more about their process, what inspires them, their band, and how they currently view the DIY scene. 



ZachHey Luke! First off, thank you for doing this interview - as a chef by profession I'm always ecstatic whenever I see someone with as much passion for food (in whatever capacity!) as they have for music. 

Secondly, thank you for collaborating with my group Them Beats for the release of  Passionfruit Cemetery Hot Sauce. I adore what you did with it - it's sweet on the front of the palette, gradually unveiling its layered heat without getting too spicy, thanks to the vinegar and acidic notes.

I guess I'll start off simple: how did you first get into cooking? 

Luke: Thank you Zach! My mother, Diane Henderiks, is actually a chef by profession and I learned from her and through family recipes. I was given the access to kitchen work and help at an incredibly young age. Being able to express myself in this way has made me feel a lot better as a whole.

Zach: What inspired you specifically to make hot sauce?

Luke: Hot food has always been one of my favorite things and quite possibly the most enjoyable food for me. I wanted to do something that you can use with anything to make your food hot and add flavor in a way that makes the dish more compelling or brings out the better in the dish. I believe that the right condiment could really implement a new perspective on any culinary creation. 

Zach: When did you start Complete Goner? What was the initial process like?

Luke: I started Complete Goner over quarantine, I have been making sauces for myself for a long time, I was learning at first and think I have the hang of it now. The people that got my early sauces definitely have seen me grow since the beginning of the venture. My goal has always been to give the best quality product to anyone who takes the time to support my venture.

Complete Goner's collaboration with famed indie record label Exploding In Sound, Tropical Fire Sauce.

Zach: I love how innovative, or at the very least inspired, your flavor combinations are. It's not often that you come across banana or kiwi as a central ingredient to the flavor of a sauce. 

What are some of your favorite sauces that you make, and what inspired these flavor profiles?


Luke: Thank you so much! A dream of mine was to be experimental with my cooking and somehow making it so people would want that for themself. I spend days brainstorming and trying to find ways to implement healthy foods like those said above or strange flavors into dishes based on the palette of the consumer. I love niche things, and I think small runs of niche flavors are important in keeping an audience engaged. It’s like putting out new music, it’s to keep the timeline going!


Zach: I think it's admirable to note how with Complete Goner you make your sauces vegan whenever possible. Truth be told, I myself am not as vegan or plant-forward as perhaps I should be. However, I am always looking to find more opportunities to incorporate it into my own diet and professional career. 

What drew you to veganism and vegan cooking, and what significance does it hold to you? How do you think young people should approach veganism in order to bring a better, more universal understanding to it?

Luke: I am not a vegan. I will eat anything. That’s just the truth for me, I want to consume all types of food and experience the traditions of ethnic food that may contain animal products. I do not support the animal industry though, I believe strongly that if it’s me who is profiting off of food I create, that I shouldn’t use another life to do so, just doesn’t feel right. I think the best way to approach veganism for newer people is to not care as much about the meat substitutes but find accessible flavors in fruits and veggies that make you feel okay without meat. I’ve had my stints being vegetarian and it’s been great for my body. I recommend supporting vegan businesses that don’t try to capitalize off of not killing, affordable vegan consumption for all!

Zach: One thing I am continuously striving towards with my food is pairing it to music, matching the respective arts in their expression and complementing one another. This is something you do with bands in the DIY community, as they collaborate with you to release hot sauce as merch. 

What advice would you give to those who are looking to use music as an inspiration point for their cooking?


Luke: I think that you should use music to put you in a creative mindset to create a dish, music is like weed for some, it brings out the part of the brain that is vulnerable and ready to make things. I think vending at shows and using food as a conversation point and community setting is very important and I hope to see in post-quarantine fair trade food service throughout DIY spaces!


Teenage Halloween. Photo credited to Ali Nugent.

Zach: Innovation doesn't just apply to your vision with food, it also applies to your work fronting Teenage Halloween. The band has a sound and style that feels in line with the current state of DIY, but the way you approach storytelling and hooks while playing with the structure of power pop is something I find both admirable and exciting. 


Do you find yourself holding a similar ethos when working in music as you do when cooking in the kitchen? Or is the ethos different because you can express yourself more?


Luke: Absolutely, I feel like caring about current issues can be manifested in the kitchen like creating food for mutual aid, etc. I believe strongly that the two things are separate for me. I do think though that the world needs music and food to stay sane.


Zach: Now, I know you're from Asbury Park, and forgive me having to be THAT guy...but quite literally, I love Teenage Halloween because you and your bandmates capture a Springsteen-esque energy and charisma, just channeled through a queer and contemporary perspective. 


Am I off-base in feeling that way, or is he influential in some capacity?


Luke: He definitely is an influence, he created hope for the normal middle class person stuck in suburbia. Springsteen is a favorite of mine, no doubt.


Zach: Other than Springsteen, you obviously fall into the great lineage of New Jersey DIY. 

Recently, the genre has once again been "making waves" with the prominence of the fifth wave label, but what makes this feel especially noted is how artist driven and inclusive it is with how the pockets of the community support one another.

How do you feel about the current DIY culture? Are there any bands you recommend checking out that may otherwise be overlooked?

Luke: I think that people need to stop overlooking experimental music but also care about artists that aren’t always posted about by multiple people at once. Pay attention to algorithms, share posts from bands you think sound good. DIY culture is great but also at times lacks values that are beyond social capital. I hope that eventually that can be fixed. Check out Skylar Pocket, Swamp City Rockers, Blemish and Moor Mother!

Zach: Ultimately, what do you hope to get out of Complete Goner? Are you aspirations for your hot sauce equivalent to those of your band? 

Luke: I think my main goal is for my friends to enjoy the heat! I have no goals besides getting through each day!

More From Osmosis Tones

Albums of the Month: April

Music For Coping With COVID-19

We Need To Talk About... #1: Rosy Overdrive, Part I

Review: Splid - Kvelertak